Having some golden yellow left from a bag I made some time ago, I fixed upon making a blanket with little yellow centred daisies. There are any number of various daisy motifs on Ravelry, but in the end I decided to use the easy granny square variation set out here at Attic24, being simple yet effective. Lucy calls it a Summer Garden Granny Square, but as mine are all daisy-like I am going to call my blanket a Summer Daisy Blanket.
Stages one, two and three of the daisy squares . . .
And here they are, completed - 17 piles of 9 squares. I have calculated that this number will make a single bed sized blanket.
Weaving in the ends took ages!
I joined the squares using the 'join as you go' method in dark navy. I found this youtube video helpful (there are two parts).
Once joined, I thought about a border. Did I want something simple, or more interesting? As I was intending the blanket to be a single bed cover, in the end I decided to improvise so I could make suerethe length and width were right for the purpose. I also decided to add another colour - a deep red - to lift the colour scheme.
Here is the border close up:
As you can see, I did quite a few rows are granny stripe, interspersed with a mixture of other stitches. Working outwards, the first red stripe (below) is treble, the second is v stitch (trebles with 2 chains between). The yellow row on top of the v stitch is made of htr clusters. The green above that is 2 dc and chains, then a row of treble clusters. The final row is ch and dc in the main colour.
Here's the full effect of the border: