Saturday, 5 July 2014

The home stretch

Winter is perfect weather to stay indoors crocheting!  Over the last week we've had fog, wind and rain - and today, despite the sun, is only going to be 11 degrees Celsius.   Here is the view from my front step this morning.


My main task over the the last couple of weekends, crochet-wise, has been to finish weaving in the ends of my cotton chequerboard blanket.  Now, I am not a fan of weaving in the ends and do my best to avoid it by crocheting over them where possible.  Unfortunately this project did not lend itself to that (as the alternate colour showed through rather badly when I attempted it), and so I have had a bit a work to do before I could progress to putting the lengths together to make up the blanket.



I also have to admit I have been procrastinating.  (And while procrastinating, I even made this lovely hat and scarf!)


Finally, I came up with a strategy to get those ends completed.  Now, perhaps 'strategy' is too strong a word, as it really just involved relaxing in the lounge room, near the fire, while binge-viewing a few seasons of Breaking Bad!


Luckily, Breaking Bad is very addictive, so I have been 'obliged' to do this for hours, with the result that I have now completed the ends and am onto the joining stage (and season 4 episode 7)!  Hooray!

Ah, the joys of joining!  (I was starting to go a bit mad doing the ends, I must confess.)  I am working my way along the lengths of the blanket with a contrasting green cotton, using a dc-ch combo and a slightly smaller hook on the 'wrong side'.  


Here is the right side:


I am liking the look of it so far.  And I am starting to feel that the home stretch is not too far away.  I know I still have to think about the border and edging, but that's another story.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying my crochet hibernation!  I hope you are keeping warm this winter.

Nandina



No comments:

Post a Comment